First and foremost, I would like to wish each of you a very Merry Christmas and a blessed, safe, prosperous New Year!
I would like to remind you that tomorrow, Saturday 22 December 2018 is the annual St. Vincent de Paul Christmas food and toy distribution. It is a time of year when our parish is able to give back to those less financially blessed than so many of us in the council are.
The food and toy distribution will start at 8:00 am and will conclude by 10:00 am. The distribution is held at the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Activity Center, which is located behind the church down by the ball fields.
The event is so important for the clients of St. Vincent de Paul, that some of them will have lined up at the church as early as 5:00 am in anticipation.
Helping with the distribution can be anything from carrying out food, carrying out toys, or just smiling and talking with the clients. As our brother Knight and longtime St. Vincent de Paul President, BJ Polk, says, the only task at St. Vincent de Paul is to see the face of Jesus in the clients and to allow the clients to see Christ in you.
As you contemplate whether you can spare an hour or two of your time on this last weekend before Christmas, I would ask that you reflect for a moment on the Gospel of St. Matthew, 5:3-10 and see how Jesus’ words long ago align with the first principle of the Knights of Columbus, charity. After reading the beatitudes, I would challenge each of our brother Knights, that even if you can’t help out on Saturday, that maybe you can offer a prayer of blessing for the St. Vincent de Paul clients, so that they may know the love of Christ during this blessed Christmas season.
THE EIGHT BEATITUDES OF JESUS
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
- Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
- Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.
- Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.